Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Crazy

I admit it, I have lost my mind. I think admitting it is the first step to finding a solution...right? A few days ago I decided that I should finish the project that I tried to finish before Critter was born. I decided way back then that I should go through all my old pictures, organize them into albums, and create some more space by getting rid of photo boxes. I worked on this for about 2 months, and then got too big to finish. I have had a photo box on my desk since then, it has been calling to me EVERYDAY for months. So, here is the point of losing my mind. I discovered that I had 3 different photo albums/scrapbooks from college. Now, that was not acceptable! I decided that not only should I go through the rest of my college pictures, but I should re-do the scrapbooks into just one album. This was my obsession for the past three days. Luckily Hubby was nice yesterday and watched the kids pretty much all day so I could work on the yard and do this scrapbook. The good news...it is finished. The funny part, now I want to go through more things and organize more. I guess I am funny that way, once I get a project done I see more things to do! I now also have more of a mess on my hands than before, since I have not cleaned everything up yet. It was also quite funny yesterday when Pumpkin asked me how I was doing. I mistakenly told her I lost my mind. It then occupied her for about 20 minutes looking for my mind! It was rather adorable.
It has also been a rather emotional project for me. It is strange to make a scrapbook with pictures of people that I no longer keep in contact with. Hubby is only in the scrapbook on my graduation day. I just struggled with getting rid of any of the pictures. I do have a tendency to be a pack rat and keep everything. It was a huge step for me to toss away the negatives. I finally figured if I don't talk to the people anymore, would I need to make another copy of a picture? I guess it has been a period of remembering. I think that reminiscing can be healing, yet it takes a toll. I have been going through my mental storage box of memories while going through these pictures. It was nice to remember, but it was nicer to get the project done and sit and have dinner with my family. The past creates who we are in the present. Even if we would love to go back and change something, that would in essence change who we are today. I think in my own strange way, creating the scrapbook of the past was my way of realizing that without all those memories, my life would not be where it is today. That is worth losing my mind over! :)

2 comments:

kimberly said...

i can so relate to losing your mind over this project......i start projects with my pictures....and make a huge mess...and then save it for another day!!! or i can't find pictures because i have them EVERYWHERE.....and i swear to get organized....so....starting now is a good thing....don't wait til you are 50~ :) it only gets worse....
maybe i should look for my mind today and see if i can find it...and have it help me get organized...maybe you could loan me your daughter? :)
have a good day....knowing you got something done yesterday!

Jamie said...

I literally laughed out loud when I read that she walked around the house looking for your lost mind! :) That's funny...and very innocent. :) What a helpful little girl you have there. :)