Saturday, February 25, 2012

Getting ready for heart's day...

I was so proud of my girl this year for heart's day. She really struggled with what kind of cards to get her friends. This was the first year that I saw that her classmates could influence her greatly. We were talking about cards and the conversation went like this:
Me: What kind of cards do you want to get this year?
Her: I don't know. My friends don't really like Princesses or Barbies anymore.
Me: Well, what do you want to do?
Her: I don't know. I want to get something that they will like.
Me: The cards you give are something that you like. You don't have to pick them for your friends. You pick whatever you want.
Her: a slight pout and concerned look on her face.
Me: You could always make your own cards
Her: OKAY! With a big smile :)
So, my girl sat down and hand-made cards for her entire class. She did not just make any cards either. She picked the color card for each child, decorated them very carefully, handwrote a message and their name. I was so proud of her. It was hard for me because it was really the first time i have seen peer influence in her life. I want her to stand strong for what she wants and believes in. She ended up doing that, with a little encouragement. She was so proud of the cards too.

No comments: