Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remembering today...

Today is one of those days where it is hard to not stop and remember what happened 9 years ago. I don't think anyone can forget where they were this day, watching the news and worrying about what was going on.
For years I have wanted to go downtown near us and see this Healing Field. It is a field filled with a flag for each person who is no longer with us due to the tragedy of this day. There were flags with yellow ribbons to signify the first responders who died trying to save others.
Each time I think about today, I can not help but think about Hubby. I finally asked him today the question I knew the answer to, but never actually asked. I asked if he would have been one of those who went down to help even on a day off or even if we were visiting that city. Of course he said yes he would. I knew the answer since that day, but somehow the answer still stopped me. I think of all the people who are left here to remember those loved ones. I can not help but especially think of the first responders families. If we lived closer to these tragedies, I could be one of those left behind after a hero went back in the building. But, this is why Hubby is who he is, he runs in to the dangerous situation when everyone else is running out. This is why we can be safe in our world with men and women out there doing the jobs others do not want to do...
We got to go together to this with Critter. He did not understand, but thought it was "awesome". There are few other words to describe the feeling of walking though and seeing a physical representation of the lives lost.

May God bless the souls still fighting, protecting us and running into the burning buildings instead of away from them...

1 comment:

Jamie said...

i wish i would have known about this. they must set them up in many cities around the country because i have read of many others going to visit healing grounds. do you know how long they leave the flags up for? amazing words ~ so thankful for all who protect us and make our world a safer place to be. :)