Thursday, June 5, 2008

A good reminder

I was at a banquet for my moms club two weeks ago and a mom read this poem. It has been in the forefront of my mind since then. I think it was such a great reminder that time goes by so quickly. If we don't pay attention to the loved ones in our life, we will look up one day and realize they are grown up or gone. I have paused many times in the past two weeks and done exactly what Pumpkin wanted. Whether it was to cuddle in the middle of the day, dance, sing, color, or just sit and listen to her stories. I have been trying to give Critter equal time since he is growing up so quickly. I can not believe that almost 6 months have gone by since he was born. This has also been on my mind when thinking about friends and family. Taking the time to be there is so important. I want those in my life to know that I love them and am here for them. So...if any of you want to take the time to cuddle in the middle of the day, dance, color or anything else...give me a call! :) Here is the poem that melted my heart and brought me back to what is important:

A MOTHER'S POEM
My hands were busy through the day, I didn't have much time to play, the little games you asked me to. I didn't have much time for you.
I'd wash your clothes, I'd sew and cook, But when you'd bring your picture book, and ask me, please to share your fun, I'd say, "A little later son."
I'd tuck you in all safe at night, and hear your prayers, turn out the light, then tiptoe softly to the door, I wish I'd stayed a little more.
For life is short, and years rush past, A little boy grows up so fast.
No longer is he at your side, his precious secrets to confide.
The picture books are put away, There are no children's games to play, No goodnight kiss, no prayers to hear, that all belongs to yesteryear.
My hands once busy now lie still, the days are long and hard to fill, I wish I might go back and do, the little things you asked me to!
I hope that you find the time to cherish the lives surrounding you. Love to all my family and friends!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

That brought tears to my eyes and a big lump in my throat. I never realized how fast time goes by until I had kids. I feel like I blinked my eye and Jett was two! I do try to slow down and take a step back and just enjoy my babies. Thanks for sharing the beautiful poem. Hope things are going great for you and hubby.
Big Smiles,
Mandy

Julie & kids said...

Hi Deb, thanks for posting this. I was thinking about it the other day as I was on a roll getting things done around the house and Sidney was wanting my attention. I need this reminder a lot. It always makes me cry. That is why I wanted to stay home with my kids, to be around for the special moments and be with my kids.
Thanks,
Julie

Cory said...

This got me all choked up too! It is so easy to push aside the things that really matter most in order to get those "not so important things" (in the long run) done. Thanks for the reminder today Debbie. I needed that.