Friday, November 6, 2009

So proud...

I can not begin to describe how proud I am of this amazing girl. I had a moment today where I got to see my child through the eyes of a stranger. Now, that might sound strange, but sometimes it is hard for me to see all my kids do. I am there day in and day out and sometimes get caught up in the everydayness of life...yes I know I pretty much made up that word!
For Pumpkin's birthday she decided to be a generous kid. We have been helping out a charity, Andrea's Closet, through my moms club. They are a group which supplies toy closets for children in the hospital. When talking about what she wanted for her birthday, Pumpkin started talking about how much she already has. She then started talking about the kids in the hospital and how they needed toys. We figured out that asking friends and family for toys for Andrea's Closet for her birthday would be a good idea. Now...anyone who knows Pumpkin knows that if she does not want to do something there is no way to make her. This was really her idea. I could not have been more proud of her.
She ended up collecting over a dozen toys for this group. I was able to make the arrangements to bring them to the hospital today. Going into it Pumpkin knew she would not be able to give them to the kids, but that the nice lady from the hospital would be able to put them in the toy closet for her. We arrived at the hospital and the woman came out to meet us with a wagon. Both kids help put all the toys in the wagon and walk them into the hospital. She gave us a little tour of the new wing of the hospital while the kids looked around at all the really neat stuff they had.
Pumpkin was shy, but at least let me take a few pictures. The funny thing about her is that she really did not see what the big deal was about giving toys away. This lovely woman kept saying what an amazing 5 year old she was. Pumpkin just smiled, said thank you and kept playing.
It was a moment where I got to see Pumpkin for who she is and who she is becoming. She cares so deeply for others. It makes all the moments where I struggle as a mother completely worth it. I did not know I could be this proud of my child. She gives without a thought and it is normal to her. I hope we can continue this feeling of giving throughout her life and Critter's. She is an example to me of how to make sure to give and care for others.
This is the pile of toys she gave to the hospital. These are going to make quite a few kids so very happy and feel more comfortable in the hospital.

I just love these two kids. I could not be more proud of them and who they are. It is amazing to see them from an "outside" perspective. I just love them and more than ever know that my time at home with them is precious and right where I want and need to be. Now...I need to go cuddle my amazing girl!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

well....who do you think has taught them to be so generous and kind towards others...hmmm.....i wonder. :) you are ALL beautiful.